Skip to main content

Alas I speak

First of all it was easy to get that Widget of the Baby on, but I have no idea how to get if off. It's not that I don't want to remove it, I just don't know how. I'm not the smartest blogger on the block. I bet there is some button that says remove widget somewhere.

So the big day finally arrived-if you want to know as little as possible I suggest that you read no further, but just scroll down and enjoy the pictures. I slept in on Thursday(last week)-it was glorious. I straightened my hair, shaved my legs and just slowly got ready for work. I then decided that it was essential that I pick up baby wipes from Costco. My body must have known that I would be needing them soon. I'm walking around Costco and all of the sudden I pee my pants. I was looking all around for a bathroom, but I couldn't see one anywhere. I thought well it was just a little leak and I know there is a bathroom at target and they are usually pretty clean. So I head over to target and I continue to think that I have random bursts of peeing. I bought some puzzles for work and headed into work thinking that I was going to run an afternoon group. I called Cory on the phone and he thought I should call our doula. I thought well wouldn't that be embarrassing if I think that my water broke, but I'm really just peeing my pants over and over again. I called my doula and she asked me how long I thought I'd been peeing my pants and I said about a couple of hours. She laughed and told me that my water broke. I called in Rachel(one of my co-workers) and told her all about the group I wanted to run. I forgot to ask her about it-it was a new idea that I thought would be pretty cool, but anyway. I decide I might as well go home. So then it all begins...................................................................................
A quick snapshot of Cory and I being super excited that my water finally broke. It looks kind of exciting, but it was pretty anticlimatic. I thought when your water broke-booommmm---it was baby time. Well what I learned is that 90% of people go into labor within 24hours, so I just had to hang out and see when my body was going to react. We called our Doula and she came over. We played a round of sequence, which I won. Then we took a walk, Cory made fetticine ravioli for dinner, and then I just tried to nap. Then around 9pm the real fun began. The surges(also commonly referred to as contractions)started. I don't know how many people know, but I decided to use the hypnobirthing process and avoid the use of medication during the birth- au naturel. My surges started about 4 minutes apart and the intensity quickly developed. I had an easy time breathing through each of them though-okay maybe easy is a loose term to use, but it wasn't really bad-really. We went to the hospital within a half an hour because my surges started happening every two minutes. We got checked in and I was dilated to a 5 and 100% effaced, which is pretty exciting news for a pregnant woman. The next five hours from 10pm-3am just past. It was hard, but with the help of Cory, Katherine, the Midwife and the nurse I found enough strength. Even when I thought I have to quit I can't do this any longer they encouraged me that I could keep going. I was dilated to a 10 around 3am. But something very strange happened I pushed and pushed and pushed and that baby didn't want to budge. I just kept pushing away. Around 6am I was exhausted. I was laying on my side and my surges had become fairly inconsistent. The midwife said- I think that if we start pitocin it will help your uterus contract enough that you can get some help to push the baby out. Pitocin was like a bad word to me because I was terrified that it would make it too hard. I was exhausted and it took me like an hour to decide that I wanted to go through with it. I debated on getting medication and even had the anesthesiologist in the room, but decided I could continue on. I was confident that I would have the baby within an hour. They started the pitocin at 8am and my surges started to pick up. They checked the position of the baby and the midwife said that she wanted to consult with a physician. He came up to the room around 9am and tried to manually turn the baby's head, so that he would come on out-I say this simply, but it was incredibly painful. He then told me my choices. He said-you have a couple of choices-you've been pushing and that baby is not coming out because of how his head is turned, so you have to prepare for using forceps and if that doesn't work then we have to do an emergency c-section, which means you have to get anesthesia. I didn't take much time to decide on this one-They called the anesthesiologist and he was already in a c-section, so it was another hour before he came down-plus ten minutes when they kept telling me that he was in the hallway. I got the epidural around 10:15 and then my room filled up with people. We went from four to about fourteen in case it turned into a c-section. I just kept praying that the forceps would work. I also must admit I was pretty relaxed at this point as the epidural started taking effect. It was weird to know that I was having surges, but couldn't really feel them. The pushing started again around 10:30 and then voila-Isaak was born. I made it sound so easy-pushing is actually tons and tons of work-though much easier with an epidural. They put Isaak on my chest right after birth and I thought-ahhh we had an ugly baby. His face was all smashed up from the forceps. But of course I got all emotional and excited. Then Cory took the baby down for a bath. I got to stay in my room where my blood pressure had dropped, my pulse was rapid and I had developed a fever-pretty exciting!! It all cleared up in a couple of hours and now I'm just taking it easy. Well as easy as you can with a baby that thinks that morning is at 10pm to 2am. So I'll post some pictures because he's absolutely adorable.
Cory and Isaak right after the delivery.
See that poor little face. He was getting washed up and whatever else they do in the nursery. These pictures were all taken within a couple days of being home from the hospital.

Comments

DottieLou said…
that does not quite tell the story... but gives the general Idea.. you are brave and I love you and he his darling
Congrats! I'm glad little Isaak finally came into this world. I can't wait to see you guys again
love you
Unknown said…
I was waiting for that post! I'm so happy for you guys. Paul and I will come down and visit you and the new addition to your family soon. He looks like you guys...I can see it in his eyes mostly. I'm way happy that you didn't have to have a c-section and that everything worked out for you. See you soon!
Jenn said…
Sadie and Cory - wow! Congratulations! Sounds like it was a lot of work, but I'm happy that it all turned out alright! I must admit I teared up just looking at the pictures of y'all with Isaak. I SO wish I could be there and visit!!! I miss you, Sadie!
aisy said…
Awww, he is SO cute. Sadie, you are a trooper woman. Glad you didn't have to get the C.

By the way, Jenn blog stalked me, so I stalked her back, then saw your link on her blog so stalked you! We miss you (or should I say I, but I think I can speak for all the therapists).
jaredandgina said…
Yeah Sadie, he is so adorable! Congrats again!
jaredandgina said…
by the way to get rid of widget go to to your layout page and you should be able to remove it there!
Chelsie Brady said…
Oh my gosh! You had the wee thing! Yay! I'm so happy for you. I'm also a little freaked out at your struggle and I applaud you. Good job! Congrats! And best wishes! Love you.
The Studes said…
That is one exciting story! I"m glad that you thought you had an ugly baby for some reason I thought Thattwas REALLY funny. Ater I had Avi I didn't care what shh looked like I just wanted to sleep.
Hopefully if you are up for it we will come overr in the next week.

oh and I think he has your eyes, he is so cute!

Popular posts from this blog

OW!!!!!

So yesterday we decided to go rollerblading. I know it’s a little out of style, but it is great fun. The first thing that I need to mention is that I have a great pair of rollerblades. They are speedy-I barely have to move. The second is that I’m not great at stopping. I can do it, but it’s hard to stop quickly. So the story-There is this trail by our house that is hilly and curvy. We start going uphill and we are going against the wind so it’s pretty hard. We were a huffin’ and puffin’ and sweatin‘--Cory more than me since he‘s actually pushing the stroller. I start to get a little nervous when Cory points out that we will be going downhill and the wind will push us. Hmmmm-I’m thinking to myself that means we’ll practically be flying. I tell myself it’s okay because I’ve gotten much better at stopping. I even reached the top of the trail before Cory and was telling my friend Tina that I had better get off the phone unless I wanted to end up getting plastic surgery from face planting.

Whaaaaat??????

I'm happily brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I'm looking around wondering what else I could be doing while I'm brushing my teeth and I started to think to myself, hmmmm , I wonder what's in toothpaste? I picked up the tube with my free hand and continued brushing. As I was reading the back I noticed a WaRnINg : Do not use for more than four weeks at a time. What? Do not use for more than four weeks? I anticipated reading if you swallow more than what you are brushing your teeth with call poison control. I try to start adding up how long I've been using this toothpaste. Cory didn't like it, so I've been using it solo and it has surely been more than four weeks. Now I don't know what to do with it--do I take a break and come back to it or do I just keep using it? I mean it's been about three months and I still have quite a bit left and nothing seems out of the ordinary yet...But seriously I think that the warning on the toothpaste should at least be