Skip to main content

The Farthest North Point & Settlers Cove

The rain continues to come down. I've never seen it rain like this before. Teana and Derek told us that the rain is more consistent with weather in October than in the summer, but weather.com promises that a warm front is in store for tomorrow. We went to church in an amazing building. The ward house was completely built in Cedar. Apparently the church shipped a cedar kit and the members of the church in the area worked with general contractors to put it together. It's beautiful and it smells so good!!! Chloe didn't want to go to primary by herself. At first I was trying tough love, but she started weeping. Okay. So she was actually trully scared. I sat with her in primary and then someone in the sharing time chose to sing Gethsemane. Chloe immediately relaxed. I was again aware of how much Heavenly Father cares for his children. Gethsemane is Chloe's favorite song and she always sings it when she's sad or asks us to sing it for her. She then said it was okay if I went to my class because she was going to be okay. We heard an amazing talk from a boy named Brent that's getting ready to serve a mission. He shared his testimony about the Plan of Salvation and the promise of seeing our loved ones again and being with them again. I felt reminded of why I'm a member of this church. I love the plan of salvation. I know that I'll see my grandparents again. I look forward to seeing them again. I'm  grateful for Gods mercy in this truth.
I wish I knew why all the kids decided to wear cleaning gloves and run around the stage, but I'm clueless as to why unless it's just to make me a little crazy. 
Seriously adorable. I love this face. She rocked nursery. I wish I would've stayed to help. I heard that the lady in there was solo with ten kids! 

Settlers Cove is the farthest north that you can go in Ketchikan. The road literally ends right by the entrance to the beach. The beach is next to a lovely trail called Lunch Creek Loop. The falls was raging because there was so much rain the falls which is normally a clear water was the color of rootbeer. You could see it pushing it's way into the ocean. The beach was slippery and covered in seaweed because the tide hadn't come in yet. The kids spent about an hour holding crabs, and jellyfish(don't worry the poor things were the white ones, which are safe to touch and they had died because they had been left on the beach when the tide went out. Zella made a little seashell house for her little crab. It took some serious convincing to put the crab back. The hike was on this boardwalk that wove it's way though the rainforest and was covered in roofing tile so you didn't slip. The rainforest is so wet and slippery that the hike would have been nearly impossible without it. On the beach near the beginning there was a gigantic tree with roots that intertwined around to make somewhat of a fort. The kids could climb the base of the roots. They spent another hour climbing and playing in the fort. Zella climbed up one part and said, "look at me. I'm a good climber." Adorable. We were treated to another one of Derek and Teana's favorite dinners. It was delicious. Seriously delicious. We had to kids eat first so we go to hang out and have some talking time. 






Searching for crabs at Settlers Cove among the seaweed and jellyfish pieces




Mommy this is my crabby and his home. She didn't like my suggestion to let the crab go.
Lunch Creek Falls

Not the greatest picture, but this is lunch creek feeding into the ocean all rootbeer like




We went to the end of the road. The farthest you can drive north in Ketchikan. The End.You can explore further north, but you have to either go by boat or by foot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scattered

Little "I" takes his first daring steps into the unknown...okay we didn't really have the camera ready for his first steps, but he took them on Cory's Birthday. Cory was so excited that Isaak actually gave him a Birthday Present--ahhh, I'm sure your heart is melting. We've had some big changes in January. Mainly Cory's work schedule. It's all crazy, but we are adjusting. We've gone snowshoeing about five times already this year. Isaak gets so bundled up that it reminds me of The Christmas Story when the little boys cries because he can't put his arms down. Isaak got swimming lessons for Christmas. I laugh hysterically during the lessons. Isaak isn't a cuddly baby, but in the pool he wraps his little arms around my neck and DOESN'T let go!!! He is warming up to the idea though and was less scared this week compared to last week. But I must admit that I love the cuddling. We also bought him some reusable swim diapers. He looks like he'

OW!!!!!

So yesterday we decided to go rollerblading. I know it’s a little out of style, but it is great fun. The first thing that I need to mention is that I have a great pair of rollerblades. They are speedy-I barely have to move. The second is that I’m not great at stopping. I can do it, but it’s hard to stop quickly. So the story-There is this trail by our house that is hilly and curvy. We start going uphill and we are going against the wind so it’s pretty hard. We were a huffin’ and puffin’ and sweatin‘--Cory more than me since he‘s actually pushing the stroller. I start to get a little nervous when Cory points out that we will be going downhill and the wind will push us. Hmmmm-I’m thinking to myself that means we’ll practically be flying. I tell myself it’s okay because I’ve gotten much better at stopping. I even reached the top of the trail before Cory and was telling my friend Tina that I had better get off the phone unless I wanted to end up getting plastic surgery from face planting.