Skip to main content

From me to him

Dear Isaak,

Happy Birthday my little guy! It feels like just yesterday that you were literally pulled out to come into this world. Yes literally with forceps around your little head because you accidentally faced the wrong direction or maybe you faced the direction you wanted to. You didn’t seem like you were quite ready to come out because you were just wailing--almost like you were saying, “You know--I was perfectly comfortable in there.” I’ve learned this year that you surely know what you want and you will not stop until you get it. For example when we tried to spend the weekend away from home and you didn't like sleeping in your playpen! You woke up every 1/2 hour to let us know you weren't comfortable. You finally fell asleep around 3am when we put you on the bouncer. Cory slept with his arm around you on the floor so you didn't roll off. You weren’t going to come easy, eh?? I remember pushing and pushing and pushing and thinking this isn’t going how I thought that it would. And honestly what part of this year has?

I remember driving away from the hospital thinking, “Are they really letting us out with this baby by ourselves? Don’t they know that we don’t know anything?” I think that I was even more scared than your Dad because at least he had changed your diaper in the hospital. So we brought home this itty bitty bundle of you. You slept quite a bit until about 10pm at night, then the crying started. You would cry from 10am to about 2-3am. Boy were we tired. So many people had told me that I would be bored because you slept all the time. I wasn’t bored, but so tired I could barely keep my eyes open. I think the only way we made it through was with lots of sugar, awesome meals from our neighbors, new friends, running, and just taking one day at a time-sometimes even just one hour at a time.

Those first weeks when you first came home definitely weren’t easy. I dare say they were the hardest weeks of my life. I never felt more confused and clueless. I really had no idea what I was doing. I cried a lot. I know I made many mistakes as I tried to figure out what you needed and what you wanted. But as time passed and we got used to each other it started to make more sense. I started to realize that you were the greatest thing that has ever come into my life. I was meant to be your Mom and you were meant to be my son. You are exactly what I needed. You are perfect for our family.

I started to feel more and more confident in my new role as a mother. There were times when my strength and character were tested, but I would turn to God and plead for his help. I found much comfort in a quote by Jeffrey Holland, “..Christ will say to the women who worry and wonder and weep over their responsibilities as mothers, “Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole.” And it will make your children whole as well.” I learned to proudly say, “Yes I am a MOM!” I started to realize that I didn’t want to go back to work, but would rather spend my time with you crawling around on the floor and giggling to make you giggle. I liked that you would wipe your nose on my shoulder when it was runny or that you trusted me to hold you and keep you safe.

I have been looking through all your pictures and am amazed at the person you are. You have already shown me what joy this life is. You are almost always smiling. You smile at anybody that passes us with the biggest grin. It’s contagious-they always smile back. One time in a store parking lot a lady five cars away exclaimed, “Your baby just smiled at me! He is so cute.” She walked away smiling.

You are an independent spirit.

You spend the majority of your time reaching and pointing at seemingly everything you are interested in. You love to sit on the counter and turn the Ipod on and off. You also love to take all the utensils out of the cup and then push them around on the floor like cars. You have also recently discovered the little hiding place under the stairs and you like to smile at us then hide--laughing hysterically the whole time. Whenever you see other children you start squirming to get out of our arms so you can go join them. You are quite social, though sometimes a little over zealous when you accidentally touch too hard or crawl up on top of someone. One of my favorite things you do is offer big, huge, wet, slobbery kisses and you share them freely with your stuffed blue bunny and little dog. You don’t offer often, so when you come at us we know we have to offer up our cheek to you (even if it gets all slobbery)! Your new way to communicate is to put your little hands on our cheeks, then you get about two inches away looking directly into our eyes-you point to what you want and say, “OOO, DA!”

You have the greatest Dad. I love to watch the two of you play and play. You laugh together and I always try to join in on the fun. You like to be read to before you go to bed, so we take turns doing it at night. I wish I could explain how much I love you! I heard someone once describe it as fierce. It’s true it is! I can feel it with all that I am. I want you to know that I’m trying to do the best I can and even when I make mistakes I love you. I always will. I love you and your Dad so deeply. I’m grateful to have the both of you in my life helping me to become stronger, smarter, and happier. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being your parents. We are incredibly blessed.

I love you and Happy Birthday my baby boy!!!

Love,

Mom


Comments

DottieLou said…
that was very sweet you are doing a great job... i love you MOM
Megan said…
how precious! Happy Birthday baby boy!!!
Unknown said…
WOW, I can't believe its already been a whole year since he was born! You are such a great mommy... of course you are not perfect, but nobody is!

I liked reading this post. I like you. You are real in your posts and I am a big fan.

Happy Birthday Isaak!
Tina said…
What a touching letter between mother and son. Isaak is such a beautiful spirit and you are such an amazing mother. I read this right before I went to bed last night and couldn't stop thinking about it. I love your honesty. Very well written. Happy Birthday Isaak!
jaredandgina said…
Oh Happy Birthday little Isaak!! That was a great letter Sadie! How touching!
Valarie said…
I loved your letter to Isaak so much - it brings tears to my eyes. It reminds me of when I became a mother to my own little boy. I keep talking to him and calling myself aunt Val instead of mom - it was so wierd. It made me think of my little boy so far away - luckily I still have one at home that will give me great big bear hugs- no more slobbery kisses though. Hold onto him and get as many slobbery kisses as you can. And never "wish" for them to grow up ie: " I wish he would do this" I can't wait for him to do that" it all happens so fast and then they are to big for slobbery kisses. I love you and you are a great mom.

Popular posts from this blog

Whaaaaat??????

I'm happily brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I'm looking around wondering what else I could be doing while I'm brushing my teeth and I started to think to myself, hmmmm , I wonder what's in toothpaste? I picked up the tube with my free hand and continued brushing. As I was reading the back I noticed a WaRnINg : Do not use for more than four weeks at a time. What? Do not use for more than four weeks? I anticipated reading if you swallow more than what you are brushing your teeth with call poison control. I try to start adding up how long I've been using this toothpaste. Cory didn't like it, so I've been using it solo and it has surely been more than four weeks. Now I don't know what to do with it--do I take a break and come back to it or do I just keep using it? I mean it's been about three months and I still have quite a bit left and nothing seems out of the ordinary yet...But seriously I think that the warning on the toothpaste should at least be

OW!!!!!

So yesterday we decided to go rollerblading. I know it’s a little out of style, but it is great fun. The first thing that I need to mention is that I have a great pair of rollerblades. They are speedy-I barely have to move. The second is that I’m not great at stopping. I can do it, but it’s hard to stop quickly. So the story-There is this trail by our house that is hilly and curvy. We start going uphill and we are going against the wind so it’s pretty hard. We were a huffin’ and puffin’ and sweatin‘--Cory more than me since he‘s actually pushing the stroller. I start to get a little nervous when Cory points out that we will be going downhill and the wind will push us. Hmmmm-I’m thinking to myself that means we’ll practically be flying. I tell myself it’s okay because I’ve gotten much better at stopping. I even reached the top of the trail before Cory and was telling my friend Tina that I had better get off the phone unless I wanted to end up getting plastic surgery from face planting.