Skip to main content

October Woes

Finally-Finally-Finally!!! I broke out my roller blades. After my fall I've been afraid to try again, but today was so nice I went for it. I must admit that when I was heading towards a hill I took one of my blades off and solo bladed it. I probably looked hilarious. Actually I know I did because a couple of kids were watching me like I'd blown a brain gasket.
I have been thinking about October. I've been itching, itching, itching for a VACATION!! I love vacation--I've even convinced myself that I need a vacation. Because of my job I've taken vacations every few months because you need it in my field. I promise--you have to get away. So I was reminiscing--last year at this time we were in Nashville, Tennessee. I love Tennessee. I thought it was going to be some country crazy town, but it was a hip, urban place. I miss sweet potato casserole, green beans, fried chicken, pie, and people calling me sweetie pie. It just makes you feel good. Doesn't that food look Delicious!!! My mouth is watering!! Ahhhh-this is at a restaurant called Dotson's which was one of my favorites.This is a confederate grave yard. The battle of Franklin was fought here also-a family that owned a plantation(not a cotton plantation) buried all the bodies themselves and erected gravestones for every dead soldier, so their parents would have a place to come and visit their sons lost in battle. It was arranged by state. I couldn't believe all the work they did for all those people's parents.Me looking at bullet holes in the side of the Carter house. The battle of Franklin took place in the backyard of the Carter House. I've never heard much about the Civil War from the Southern point of view, but they were really proud of their soldiers. They fought valiantly even though Nashville was already taken from the south. The South Captains knew this was their last chance to try to fight for Tennessee, so they fought against their better judgment and many lives were lost. One of the Carter's sons died just steps from his front porch. He had been released and was coming back home. Sad stories, but super intriguing.

This was the plantation house which they used for a hospital during the battle. I can't remember the name which is a pitty, but a fictional novel was written about it called, "Widow of the South" They had bodies covering the ground and used their kitchen table for a surgery table. They still had blood stains on the floor. The other sad part was that the North just left all their bodies behind, so the people in the area had to bury soldiers from both sides in frozen ground. A lot of the grave markers were destroyed because the people needed firewood to stay warm.

See I need to go on vacation!! Look at how much I learn!!!

Comments

Tina said…
I agree you need and deserve a vacation! Where would Isaak like to go? We all know who is the real boss, right! :D It's crazy how the smallest person in the household gets to make most of the decisions. My dad teases me all the time about AliCherie being boss! Anyways, I keep forgetting to ask you; when did you take the photo of you and Cory at the top of the world on your blog? I love it!
Cory&SadieK said…
when I was about five months pregnant last fall. In the Canyon. We tried to do a family photo, but it didn't work out to well with Isaak...
Unknown said…
That's cool. I remember when you guys went to Tennessee and I never got to hear much about it. Thanks for sharing. Hope you get to take that vacation soon!
Laura said…
Hey I found you! I love the blog, it's fun to have updates on life and cute pics of your kiddo. And, just so you know, we all need a vacation! I was just telling Kirk last night that next summer I want to go out to MO to visit family, and that maybe the girls and I would drive out a week or so ahead of time, and then he could fly out and we would all come home together. Well, then I drove to springville today, and I hadn't even made it to provo center st before Tessa is kicking Ashley in her carseat and I am reaching back there trying to stop her little legs. Needless to say, I think my vacation plans are a little overachieving for me!

Popular posts from this blog

OW!!!!!

So yesterday we decided to go rollerblading. I know it’s a little out of style, but it is great fun. The first thing that I need to mention is that I have a great pair of rollerblades. They are speedy-I barely have to move. The second is that I’m not great at stopping. I can do it, but it’s hard to stop quickly. So the story-There is this trail by our house that is hilly and curvy. We start going uphill and we are going against the wind so it’s pretty hard. We were a huffin’ and puffin’ and sweatin‘--Cory more than me since he‘s actually pushing the stroller. I start to get a little nervous when Cory points out that we will be going downhill and the wind will push us. Hmmmm-I’m thinking to myself that means we’ll practically be flying. I tell myself it’s okay because I’ve gotten much better at stopping. I even reached the top of the trail before Cory and was telling my friend Tina that I had better get off the phone unless I wanted to end up getting plastic surgery from face planting.

The Monkey Mobile

I've been thinking about getting one of those bike mobiles that you can attach to the back of your bike to haul Isaak around on. We were visiting Cory's sister Heather and she has one so we thought we'd try it out... At the beginning, he was thinking that it was pretty cool. He was smiling and talking away... Then he realized he was trapped!!!! He fought, pushed, and shoved trying to escape. He became distraught. Crying and whining trying to tell us that he needed help to get out! Isaak falling as he tries to free himself...no worries...he was safe. I was right there taking pics His face of joy as we unzipped the top to free him from his netty prison. We decided not to get one for obvious reasons...... This picture has nothing to do with the Monkey mobile, but I love his eyes!!! so pretty--we love to go on walks so we bundle him all up in the stroller so he stays nice and toasty.