Skip to main content

July 18th Bannack State Park

Packing, unpacking, cleaning, organizing, planning, re-planning, forest fires, ferry tickets, laundry-sooo much laundry, worrying, angst, stressing, food planning, bag picking, snack buying, roof racks, chickens, dogs, kids, and alas we are off. Nothing felt better then when we locked all the doors asking over and over if we'd forgotten anything and took off towards the open road. Only to turn back to rearrange the cooler because we almost smashed Isaak when we made our first turn. It felt like a relief for it to finally be happening. I was excited to spend the next month with four of my most favorite people on an adventure. We have one of our biggest drives ahead of us today and it was only a mere 5.5 hour drive to Bannack, Montana.

The ride was hot, but we had air conditioning which helped. Cory talked about when he was a kid they'd make their yearly journey to Edmonton sweating, sticky and uncomfortable. He dreamed of swimming pools and lakes at his final destination. We left about 11:30 am which was only an hour and a half late. I think that was pretty impressive. We challenged the kids not to ask..Are we there yet? We made it about 30 minutes before Chloe asked if we were there. We started off the journey with Lego Batman which kept everyone occupied until we made it to our lunch stop. Zella picked it by accidentally touching the touch screen when we searched on the phone. The park had five stars. I'm not sure why because there were not bathrooms. Yikes. The kids peed in the trees. I held it until we got to the grocery store and picked up some ice and a few things that we inevitably forgot...ketchup, mustard, gallon zip baggies. I like to use gallon zip baggies in the cooler so it doesn't get all full of juices and such.

Notice there isn't a single bathroom in sight!

We then got back on the road and drove the last 2.5 hours to Bannack with many cries of I'm bored and are we there yet??? We arrived in Bannack at 6pm. We got a beautiful camping spot and were the only people in that part of the campground so the kiddos played soccer and while Cory got dinner ready and I set up the tent with all our sleeping bags. It was perfect and it almost seemed too perfect. Except for all the mosquitoes. After dinner we headed over to Bannack which is a ghost town in the campground. We were the only people there since it was about 8pm by the time we made it. Isaak kept saying that he was creeped out. He loved it the last time we were there, but now he understands that people lived and died in these houses. It's almost like he could sense the life of the old town. Bannack is one of my favorite places. It was established in the 1800s when gold was found in Gun Smoke River. It quickly became a small dangerous mining town and people didn't leave there houses after dark because shots were often fired in the streets and especially at the saloon. A group of men known as the road agents start stealing gold and killed about 116 prospectors. The gold is still rumored to be hid in the mountains by Bannack(which our kids were sure they were going to find). The three men that started the road agents were hanged by the towns people when they had enough of the tyranny and fear. My favorite building is an old Hotel called Meade Hotel. The winding staircase, the view of the mountains out the kitchen windows and the high ceilings. Chloe fell in love with it too. The kiddos also loved the old school and the antique merry-go-round that still works. 
Our campsite in Bannack State Park..well right by our campground obviously not our actual tent.
Running in the grass toward Hotel Meade on the right

Masonic Temple and School 
The Old Jail complete with gun holes 
We got to bed late, but all curled up nice and cozy in our tent for the night. Zella was the first to fall asleep and Isaak was quick to follow. Chloe swished around in her sleeping back for awhile until everyone was asleep, but me as I read to the red glow of my headlamp. After I said just one more page four times I finally turned out my light and fell asleep instantly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whaaaaat??????

I'm happily brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I'm looking around wondering what else I could be doing while I'm brushing my teeth and I started to think to myself, hmmmm , I wonder what's in toothpaste? I picked up the tube with my free hand and continued brushing. As I was reading the back I noticed a WaRnINg : Do not use for more than four weeks at a time. What? Do not use for more than four weeks? I anticipated reading if you swallow more than what you are brushing your teeth with call poison control. I try to start adding up how long I've been using this toothpaste. Cory didn't like it, so I've been using it solo and it has surely been more than four weeks. Now I don't know what to do with it--do I take a break and come back to it or do I just keep using it? I mean it's been about three months and I still have quite a bit left and nothing seems out of the ordinary yet...But seriously I think that the warning on the toothpaste should at least be

Scattered

Little "I" takes his first daring steps into the unknown...okay we didn't really have the camera ready for his first steps, but he took them on Cory's Birthday. Cory was so excited that Isaak actually gave him a Birthday Present--ahhh, I'm sure your heart is melting. We've had some big changes in January. Mainly Cory's work schedule. It's all crazy, but we are adjusting. We've gone snowshoeing about five times already this year. Isaak gets so bundled up that it reminds me of The Christmas Story when the little boys cries because he can't put his arms down. Isaak got swimming lessons for Christmas. I laugh hysterically during the lessons. Isaak isn't a cuddly baby, but in the pool he wraps his little arms around my neck and DOESN'T let go!!! He is warming up to the idea though and was less scared this week compared to last week. But I must admit that I love the cuddling. We also bought him some reusable swim diapers. He looks like he'