Skip to main content

The $150 Earache

For those of you that don't know--Little "I" has had an earache for quite awhile. We've tried a few antibiotics, but it keeps coming back. We can tell when it starts to come back because he hits the charts at a 10 for irritability and fussiness, his nose starts running, and he gets a fever. I started making dinner around 3pm and then Isaak woke up. He only slept for like an hour. I was confused because I knew he was exhausted. I called our Doctor, so they could tell me what the next step was if the third round of antibiotics didn’t work. Isaak just cried and cried. I was trying to make dinner and then there was a knock at the door. One of the neighbor boys, Jackson, asked if he could play with Isaak. I said of course. So he played with Isaak outside for about a half an hour. I almost finished making dinner, but as I was cutting the apples with my new pampered chef tool--I sliced off a small piece of my thumb. At first I thought it was a little piece of apple on my thumb, but when I went to bite it off--it really hurt. It was the skin that sits right by your thumbnail on the side. I’d lobbed it off with that blasted apple corer/slicer. Then I start bleeding. I got direct pressure on it and put a bandaid on super tight to try and alleviate the bleeding, so I could finish making dinner. I was just about done when Isaak came back and boy was he whiny. I just noticed that he was warm too. Again. The nurse called and said that they should see him today and start a round of antibiotic shots to try and get rid of the ear infection one last time or else we’d have to get tubes in his ears. At first I said no--we’ll come tomorrow and then I thought why in the world did I say no? Cory’s parents got here just in time to talk me into running down to Dr Mumfords office. I also called my friend Tina and ironically she also talked me into going and was actually on her way to his office herself. How crazy? So sure enough Isaak’s ear infection was back again--or maybe I should stay still there since it’s never left. He’s had it for almost two months. Poor guy. The Doc said it’s a super bug and resistant to most antibiotics. Yuck. Hopefully these shots work. Poor Isaak had fever of 102.5. I felt terrible for him. I had to pick up some Motrin before I ran off to YW since we had just ran out this morning. It’s some expensive stuff. We’ve been going through it like it’s toilet paper. Dinner was delicious though. I made a dutch casserole from a cookbook Cory got me for my Birthday. Yum. So back to the earache. It’s an expensive earache. We’ve paid $100 in copays, $50 in prescriptions, $40 for probiotics, and $30 for Motrin and Tylenol! Who would have guessed?

By the way just a little bit of random information--I'm going to warn you now that it's about breastmilk if you don't want to know stop reading and stop doing so right now or you are going to stumble across it. I got bit while I was feeding Isaak, which resulted in a gaping wound in a certain place and I couldn't get it to heal up. I tried lanolin and some other stuff, but it wasn't working. I was talking to a lady that lives nearby and she told me to rub breastmilk on my sore and it would heal it right up. Sure enough--the wound healed over in about half a day. I had it for almost a month. Healed in half a day. I was amazed, so I googled it and learned that it can help with little babies cuts too. I don't know, but I'm pretty convinced. Breastmilk Rocks!

Comments

Heather said…
I feel for you guys! Hopefully his earaches will clear up and he can be your happy little boy again!
DottieLou said…
i need some of that for Riley could you make me some...
The Studes said…
Oh no how sad for Little Isaak! I hope that he is ok now! =(

Popular posts from this blog

OW!!!!!

So yesterday we decided to go rollerblading. I know it’s a little out of style, but it is great fun. The first thing that I need to mention is that I have a great pair of rollerblades. They are speedy-I barely have to move. The second is that I’m not great at stopping. I can do it, but it’s hard to stop quickly. So the story-There is this trail by our house that is hilly and curvy. We start going uphill and we are going against the wind so it’s pretty hard. We were a huffin’ and puffin’ and sweatin‘--Cory more than me since he‘s actually pushing the stroller. I start to get a little nervous when Cory points out that we will be going downhill and the wind will push us. Hmmmm-I’m thinking to myself that means we’ll practically be flying. I tell myself it’s okay because I’ve gotten much better at stopping. I even reached the top of the trail before Cory and was telling my friend Tina that I had better get off the phone unless I wanted to end up getting plastic surgery from face planting.

Whaaaaat??????

I'm happily brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I'm looking around wondering what else I could be doing while I'm brushing my teeth and I started to think to myself, hmmmm , I wonder what's in toothpaste? I picked up the tube with my free hand and continued brushing. As I was reading the back I noticed a WaRnINg : Do not use for more than four weeks at a time. What? Do not use for more than four weeks? I anticipated reading if you swallow more than what you are brushing your teeth with call poison control. I try to start adding up how long I've been using this toothpaste. Cory didn't like it, so I've been using it solo and it has surely been more than four weeks. Now I don't know what to do with it--do I take a break and come back to it or do I just keep using it? I mean it's been about three months and I still have quite a bit left and nothing seems out of the ordinary yet...But seriously I think that the warning on the toothpaste should at least be