Skip to main content

The Sacred Grove

Off to day number 2. The day started with Gina asking us what we wanted to do. I didn't know. So Gina(being the awesomest tour guide ever) suggested that we go to Palmyra. I said, "umm-why would we want to go to Palmyra?" Gina asked, "you are kidding right?" I wasn't kidding and asked what was there--she said, "The Sacred Grove." Yep-I'm terrible at church history. I should have known the Sacred Grove was there. For those of you that don't-the Sacred Grove is where Joseph Smith knelt to ask God, which church he should join. As he prayed Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him and told him to join no church. Joseph then went on to establish Christ's church again on the earth. Pretty big deal, eh? We decided to brave the rain and the clouds and head out. This was the first time I learned that you had to pay to get on the Highway--Crazy!

We stopped for lunch at this cute small town restaurant. Cory had something resembling a Philly cheese-steak sandwich and I had an awesome hamburger. Isaak downed most of our fries and tried to get Kai interested in the passing cars on the street. Next we saw the publishing shop that first published The Book of Mormon. I see why books were so expensive back then--the printing was a tedious project. They had to spell out each word letter by letter! It made me grateful for typewriters and even more grateful for computers. It took them months to complete the project. Isaak had a great time at the publishing house and we had the super mini aka for the itty bittys tour. The little ones loved running around, climbing on the furniture and sneaking up on exhibits or under ropes. Isaak was more devious than Kai, but it was fun to watch them run around. We headed over to the Sacred Grove after that and you can see that Isaak sure shaped up. The visitors center was so peaceful and the Holy Ghost was present. As soon as we got there. Isaak looked and me and said, "SHHHH!" Then he started to say a little prayer. I think he knew it was a special place. When we were able to see the homes that Joseph Smith grew up in Isaak snuck under the ropes again and tried to climb up on Lucy Mack Smith's bed. Oops. Thankfully Cory had been to the Sacred Grove before so Isaak and Cory went and played outside a bit while we got to hear the stories and take the tour. My favorite thing that I learned was a quote by Lucy Mack Smith. I'm paraphrasing, but she had just recently moved into a new house and due to many circumstances had to move back to the small cabin. She said, "I prayed to Heavenly Father and asked him for the strength to not look back, but to be grateful." I put that in my own words because I can't remember the quote exactly.Seriously--aren't they adorable? I took about 50 pictures this day! Aren't you lucky that I'm cutting back? But a lot of them are of these two little cutie pies. They had so much fun playing together. Isaak even did awesome in the car during all these long car rides.Finally we arrived at the Sacred Grove. It was beautiful. The sun was just setting and it was quite picturesque. The kids forged their own trail through the leaves--they both got quite wet. But it was an amazing day. Did I mention that the sun came out the last part of the day? It was a relief that we didn't have to walk all over in the rain. I almost forgot to mention that Jared made us dinner that night. We had Taco soup and I don't know if we were starving or if Jared is a pro taco soup maker, but it was the best taco soup that I have ever had. Lastly--I know these are random comments, but I didn't journal the whole time we were gone, so this is counting for all that! We stopped off in a Craft store. I don't know what we were thinking taking the kids into a store where about 90% of the stuff is breakable. Cory did Toddler Control and started referring to himself as Nanny Cory since Gina and I started talking and looking without much thought of the glass ornaments within Kids reach. We didn't stay in the store long though--Cory couldn't keep them from touching everything and the owner was giving us--the why did you bring your kids in here eye.

Comments

DottieLou said…
I totally love that praying picture.. I must have one. and edit your 1st post... there is a poorly placed F where there should not be one. Love Mom
jaredandgina said…
Oh it makes me lonely to look at these pics!

Popular posts from this blog

Whaaaaat??????

I'm happily brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I'm looking around wondering what else I could be doing while I'm brushing my teeth and I started to think to myself, hmmmm , I wonder what's in toothpaste? I picked up the tube with my free hand and continued brushing. As I was reading the back I noticed a WaRnINg : Do not use for more than four weeks at a time. What? Do not use for more than four weeks? I anticipated reading if you swallow more than what you are brushing your teeth with call poison control. I try to start adding up how long I've been using this toothpaste. Cory didn't like it, so I've been using it solo and it has surely been more than four weeks. Now I don't know what to do with it--do I take a break and come back to it or do I just keep using it? I mean it's been about three months and I still have quite a bit left and nothing seems out of the ordinary yet...But seriously I think that the warning on the toothpaste should at least be

OW!!!!!

So yesterday we decided to go rollerblading. I know it’s a little out of style, but it is great fun. The first thing that I need to mention is that I have a great pair of rollerblades. They are speedy-I barely have to move. The second is that I’m not great at stopping. I can do it, but it’s hard to stop quickly. So the story-There is this trail by our house that is hilly and curvy. We start going uphill and we are going against the wind so it’s pretty hard. We were a huffin’ and puffin’ and sweatin‘--Cory more than me since he‘s actually pushing the stroller. I start to get a little nervous when Cory points out that we will be going downhill and the wind will push us. Hmmmm-I’m thinking to myself that means we’ll practically be flying. I tell myself it’s okay because I’ve gotten much better at stopping. I even reached the top of the trail before Cory and was telling my friend Tina that I had better get off the phone unless I wanted to end up getting plastic surgery from face planting.