Skip to main content

my achy breaky heart

We have welcomed the nebulizer back into our house. I don't know if I want to use the word welcome, but I'm grateful that our insurance paid for us to have it because it sure has come in handy. Isaak was supposed to have surgery today. Wow. But he's not. He still has some problems with his lungs. If younger children are put under Anesthesia when they have throat irritation and chest congestion it can or most likely will lead to respiratory failure and long sickness. I think it best to avoid such situations--I mean I like the kid. A lot.

I took him to the Doctor again today because his cough went from minor to terrible overnight. I'm glad I went. We ended up getting a chest xray because his infections have turned into acute problems. And now we are getting to the bottom of this! We have recently changed Isaak's diet to mostly vegetables, fruits, grains and some meat. We have tried to avoid sugar as much as possible. My favorite moment of today was when we went to Roxberry to get some shakes and Isaak chose to drink the green one full of kale, spinach and chard. I was so happy! I could just see all those vegetables seeping in to heal his little body. I know I'm a little crazy!! So we have started him back on the nebulizer and some steroids to hopefully kick this problem out of town!!!

Now to my heart break. I'm amazed at the fierce emotions that I feel as a mother. The whole range. I mean the disappointment when I see Isaak disobey or not listen. The sadness when someone he's playing with is mean to him. The utter joy when he follows directions or makes a good choice! At the Doctors office today the Doctor was shocked to see how vacuumed Isaak's ears are. That means that his ears are in a constant state of pressure. Constant. They are so vacuumed that an infection can't even seep in-well that's what I think because he hasn't gotten once since this vacuuming started. I guess at least I'm grateful for that because the infection makes the pain almost unbearable. They say adults with ear infections say it's some of the worst pain they've ever felt! He frequently suffers from headaches and pain. He's constantly in pain. My heart broke a bit as I looked at him and realized how valiantly he's enduring. He smiles all the time. He wants to play outside and crash cars off the table. He's dealing with it everyday and he still giggles. He never complains aside from pulling at his ears every once in awhile. Now our goal is to try to do even better to help him get ready for surgery so we can get him out of pain! I know he needs that surgery. And I think he's a pretty awesome little guy. Did I mention that he was a complete angel while they did the chest xray? He was perfectly behaved!

Comments

DottieLou said…
to two are great parents... not sure I would have tried the spinich shake... go Isask
jaredandgina said…
Oh poor little guy!! He has just had the hardest time!! I hope you gets better so he can get the surgery soon!! Did you guys cut dairy out of your diet?
Cory&SadieK said…
no we still have milk and cheese and yogurt! I can't believe i didn't write that down!
Unknown said…
Now that I've experienced becoming a mother, my heart just BREAKS FOR YOU! Poor Isaak. What a little trooper, though.
I think about all the little things I've done to ease any pain that Ashton has had... like Ibuprofin for his teething or pumping his legs and holding him on his tummy when he had his issues with intestinal cramping. It makes me so sad to think that he will definitely go through much more pain throughout his life. Some pain I won't even be able to ease... but we have to keep moving forward.

I suppose Ashton must experience the bad in order to really enjoy the good, just like the rest of us do.

Let us know if there's anything we can do and keep us posted on when he gets his surgery. You are ONE STRONG MAMA.

Popular posts from this blog

Scattered

Little "I" takes his first daring steps into the unknown...okay we didn't really have the camera ready for his first steps, but he took them on Cory's Birthday. Cory was so excited that Isaak actually gave him a Birthday Present--ahhh, I'm sure your heart is melting. We've had some big changes in January. Mainly Cory's work schedule. It's all crazy, but we are adjusting. We've gone snowshoeing about five times already this year. Isaak gets so bundled up that it reminds me of The Christmas Story when the little boys cries because he can't put his arms down. Isaak got swimming lessons for Christmas. I laugh hysterically during the lessons. Isaak isn't a cuddly baby, but in the pool he wraps his little arms around my neck and DOESN'T let go!!! He is warming up to the idea though and was less scared this week compared to last week. But I must admit that I love the cuddling. We also bought him some reusable swim diapers. He looks like he'

Whaaaaat??????

I'm happily brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I'm looking around wondering what else I could be doing while I'm brushing my teeth and I started to think to myself, hmmmm , I wonder what's in toothpaste? I picked up the tube with my free hand and continued brushing. As I was reading the back I noticed a WaRnINg : Do not use for more than four weeks at a time. What? Do not use for more than four weeks? I anticipated reading if you swallow more than what you are brushing your teeth with call poison control. I try to start adding up how long I've been using this toothpaste. Cory didn't like it, so I've been using it solo and it has surely been more than four weeks. Now I don't know what to do with it--do I take a break and come back to it or do I just keep using it? I mean it's been about three months and I still have quite a bit left and nothing seems out of the ordinary yet...But seriously I think that the warning on the toothpaste should at least be