Skip to main content

The woos and woes of Potty Training

I had so many people tell me that you could potty train a child in one day. Do you know what I have to say to that--you have got to be kidding me--how in the world? Each kid is different--I know. We've been peeing in the potty for about two weeks now. I can't believe it. We haven't had to buy diapers which is glorious even though we usually order from diapers.com and they get delivered right to the door step.

I have noticed that I've posted about poop a lot. I don't know why we find it so interesting here, but we do. I've had more experience with poop than I've ever wanted in the last couple of weeks. Isaak calls poop--"THE BIG ONE" and even sometimes refers to it as pee. He had the hardest time learning how to poop in the toilet-it took over a week to accomplish that task. I've had a couple of funny experiences--one being this morning. Isaak woke up yelling--Mommy! mommy! It's coming! it's coming! I groggily rolled out of bed at like 6:15am to save Isaak from peeing the bed. I whisk him unto the toilet and all the lights are still out so it's dark. I see some pee dribbling so I tell Isaak to point the pee down more, which is actually too much and makes it ricochet and shoot straight out towards me. But pee is still going everywhere. I finally realize that the blasted pee catcher in the little toilet is not in the toilet. So I avoided wet sheets, but now I have to mop the bathroom floor and both Isaak and I have to shower. Blah. But at least after all that he still went back to sleep for about an hour.

Last night right as we were trying to get Isaak down for bed. He announced that the big one was surely coming. We waited and waited and waited and waited. We put him back in bed and he cried and screamed that the big one was coming. We got him back up and finally about 10 minutes to 10--the big one came. I thought Isaak was trying to milk us, but maybe he's a shy pooper because he didn't poop until both Cory and I left the bathroom. Who knows? Then the other day we were at the park and Isaak told me that he had to pee, so I whisked him behind some bushes--that's a perk to having a boy right? Then it didn't really end up being pee. He started a little poop. I told him to hold it with all his might! And he did! I picked up the little piece-yep that's right I picked it up. Who wants to find a little piece of poop in the bushes? I don't. I keep telling myself on the way home--I used to change his diapers just a few weeks ago and sometimes poop got on my hands-its practically the same thing. Well I wasn't entirely convinced, but luckily the park is only a couple minutes from out house. Isaak ran into the house and sat on the potty. It took him about a half an hour to unscare his poop, but we had our first poop in the potty! I almost cried with joy! He's been doing a great job and he has some new disney pixar cars to prove it. He's so proud of them, but he also has a list of which cars he really, really, really wants and Mac is on the top. I should get him one, but we'll see.

The last thing I have to say is that it's much harder than I expected because I'm a little worried when we are out and about that he might have an accident, but hopefully one day that will just disappear as he gets better at it. At least we'll have a couple of months before we have to start buying diapers again!And a picture to show you that we still take pictures--though I've been terrible this summer. i've forgotten the camera on almost every hike we've been on. Isaak and I have been hiking probably about six times and each time I forget the camera. I was devastated one time because Isaak climbed up on a rock and said, "mommy take a picture of me and yelled cheese as loud as he could." I tried to take a mental picture as best as I could.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scattered

Little "I" takes his first daring steps into the unknown...okay we didn't really have the camera ready for his first steps, but he took them on Cory's Birthday. Cory was so excited that Isaak actually gave him a Birthday Present--ahhh, I'm sure your heart is melting. We've had some big changes in January. Mainly Cory's work schedule. It's all crazy, but we are adjusting. We've gone snowshoeing about five times already this year. Isaak gets so bundled up that it reminds me of The Christmas Story when the little boys cries because he can't put his arms down. Isaak got swimming lessons for Christmas. I laugh hysterically during the lessons. Isaak isn't a cuddly baby, but in the pool he wraps his little arms around my neck and DOESN'T let go!!! He is warming up to the idea though and was less scared this week compared to last week. But I must admit that I love the cuddling. We also bought him some reusable swim diapers. He looks like he'

Whaaaaat??????

I'm happily brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I'm looking around wondering what else I could be doing while I'm brushing my teeth and I started to think to myself, hmmmm , I wonder what's in toothpaste? I picked up the tube with my free hand and continued brushing. As I was reading the back I noticed a WaRnINg : Do not use for more than four weeks at a time. What? Do not use for more than four weeks? I anticipated reading if you swallow more than what you are brushing your teeth with call poison control. I try to start adding up how long I've been using this toothpaste. Cory didn't like it, so I've been using it solo and it has surely been more than four weeks. Now I don't know what to do with it--do I take a break and come back to it or do I just keep using it? I mean it's been about three months and I still have quite a bit left and nothing seems out of the ordinary yet...But seriously I think that the warning on the toothpaste should at least be