Skip to main content

Bitter and Sweet

The sweet is that Isaak is potty trained. He is a full fledged toilet pee machine. He's amazing. I'm amazed at how good at it he has become in the last few weeks. He even comes in from playing to pee. It makes me happy. He also goes through the night and will yell out, "Daddy, pee, pee," if he has to pee during the night or early morning. I was so worried he wouldn't go back to sleep, but he does. It seems miraculous, but I'm so happy to be done with diapers. I didn't realize how tired of them I was. I'm so glad that I don't have to wipe a poopy bum, but the bitter is that I will soon be wiping another poopy bum. Sigh. At least they are breastfeeding poop, which isn't super stinky or as gross as toddler poop.

The sweet is that Isaak has transitioned to a bed. A real Bed. We bought one at Ikea. We went all out on the mattress that had natural fibers, wool as a flame retardant instead of chemicals and some other features that will be better for him because of his asthma. He still isn't completely over his attack, so I'm trying to give him several treatments today and a steroid to see if it will help kick it out before he has any other problems. He loves the bed. Loves it. I thought he might not stay in the bed, but last night he wanted to go to bed early so he could be in his new bed. So sweet. I loved reading him a story just sitting on his bed, then not having to haul him out of his crib in the morning. Oh how glorious. The bitter--I wish we would have been faster to enjoy more time with no crib!! But alas we will manage, eh?

The sweet is that we have restocked a lot of our food storage from local gardens. We have frozen corn, zucchini, and peppers. We have bottled peaches, pears, tomatoes, grape juice, green beans and are working on applesauce this week! We are almost done and I love to see all our shelves full of lovely shining jars of deliciousness! I think peaches are seriously becoming my favorite fruit. They are so delicious. The bitter is that we have fruit flies that are multiplying like bunnies. We just seem to get rid of them then we find another one. Grrrr. We've been setting up rotting fruit traps to capture and annihilate the little guys. I don't feel bad for them. Any good tips on how to get rid of them? Spiders are also starting to find their way inside. I killed one the other day with some serious fangs. I hope Isaak doesn't get bit. He did get stung by a bee the other day and I'm happy to report that he didn't have an allergic reaction. Phew. Another worry to check off the list. Strangely enough I got stung about a week after him. I forgot how much it stings. The last time I got stung was when I was just a kid and I had my arms up, when I put my arms down a bee had snuggled into my armpit and resisted getting smashed by stinging my armpit. Weird.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hooray for Isaak! What a BIG boy!

I was literally salivating as I read about all of the things you are canning. I can't believe how much I miss the food back home. Especially the fresh/cheap produce. Peaches!

Sorry you are killing fruit flies and spiders! Just think of us next time... we are killing mosquitoes and centipedes! lol
jaredandgina said…
There is this great stuff but I have no idea how to spell to kill bugs. Just google killing spiders and it should come up it is like dicometize earth or something like that. Farmers and stuff use to kill parasites inside of their animals so it is safe for all animals but kills bugs. It is even safe for humans, they give it to people who get parasites as well. You just spread it around your whole house along baseboards and stuff. Let it sit for three days, it is like a powder and then vacuum it up. Good luck, I hate spiders
You have an amazing amount of food storage, that is incredible. I was thinking about your bitter and sweet. It reminds me that life is ironic. Like when your car got totaled right when you had just made the last car payment. Isn't life funny?

Popular posts from this blog

Whaaaaat??????

I'm happily brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I'm looking around wondering what else I could be doing while I'm brushing my teeth and I started to think to myself, hmmmm , I wonder what's in toothpaste? I picked up the tube with my free hand and continued brushing. As I was reading the back I noticed a WaRnINg : Do not use for more than four weeks at a time. What? Do not use for more than four weeks? I anticipated reading if you swallow more than what you are brushing your teeth with call poison control. I try to start adding up how long I've been using this toothpaste. Cory didn't like it, so I've been using it solo and it has surely been more than four weeks. Now I don't know what to do with it--do I take a break and come back to it or do I just keep using it? I mean it's been about three months and I still have quite a bit left and nothing seems out of the ordinary yet...But seriously I think that the warning on the toothpaste should at least be

Scattered

Little "I" takes his first daring steps into the unknown...okay we didn't really have the camera ready for his first steps, but he took them on Cory's Birthday. Cory was so excited that Isaak actually gave him a Birthday Present--ahhh, I'm sure your heart is melting. We've had some big changes in January. Mainly Cory's work schedule. It's all crazy, but we are adjusting. We've gone snowshoeing about five times already this year. Isaak gets so bundled up that it reminds me of The Christmas Story when the little boys cries because he can't put his arms down. Isaak got swimming lessons for Christmas. I laugh hysterically during the lessons. Isaak isn't a cuddly baby, but in the pool he wraps his little arms around my neck and DOESN'T let go!!! He is warming up to the idea though and was less scared this week compared to last week. But I must admit that I love the cuddling. We also bought him some reusable swim diapers. He looks like he'