Skip to main content

July 27 Pruddhomme Lake

First Nations Day. We stayed at the K'san campground, which is next to a museum about the Gitxsan Indians, which were actually divided up into four clans: the Fireweed, Frog, Eagle and Wolf.  The K'san campground is actually on a first nations land.  We saw some of the amazing totem poles that they erected and learned some of the stories behind them.  We are slowly becoming berry experts. There are so many wild berries in BC. The First Nations used them for all kinds of purposes. Sphagnum moss was used for diapers and for menstrual pads. They used some for medicine.  For example blueberry juice was used for coughs and teas from chokecherry helped with stomach issues. They dried out berries cakes for the winter in this elaborate process then they ate the dried cakes plain or put them in soups. They used the leaves for teas and often times used the bark to make arrows or other things that they needed. They also used the juice from mashing the berries for dye. The woman and children were in charge of collecting berries and one method was to lay out a blanket and shake the bush until the berries had fallen onto a blanket.  I've always wondered what First Nations or Native Americans did back them.


Another old canoe that was actually used ... It's barely holding it's shape
I tried to get all the kids to have their picture together on this, but Chloe wasn't having it. She wanted her very own picture with the little guy.
The entrance to the building
Isaak liked the fish in this one. You notice the fish eating the guy and then the fish again. I wish I could remember the entire story. It was interesting.
Close up of fishman guy and his hook like nose


Isaak is a huge fan of chess when we drove into Old New Hazelton looking for ice we found this giant chess and checker set. They set off for a game. Chloe and Zella won with help from Cory. We were getting a late start, but how can you say no to a huge chess board. 

While we were in Montana we had a choice on two ways to reach our destination and one passed Nez Pierce Battle site. I was sure that way was longer so I took the other route. We found out they were only five minutes difference and I felt sad to have missed seeing the monument about the battle and learning the history. I love that stuff. While we were driving today I saw a a sign that said Gitwangak Battle Hill historic site 6 km. I couldn't pass up another opportunity to see a battlefield site. We learned about Nekt a member of the Gitxsan Indians that started causing problem with the different clans that used the Kitwankul Trail near the Skeena and Nass River. He then found a hill-literally a really tall hill along the trail. He built a fort of four buildings along the top of the hill and would roll spiked logs down the hill and nobody could defeat him. He caused many problems until he was in a battle with another clan and was shot in the shin with an arrow as he fell a warrior from the opposing clan quickly grabbed him and beheaded him. Peace was again restored between the clans without any further problems. I had a hard time getting a good shot of the hill because of trees and vegetation so I don't have a shot of the hill. But it's seriously a hill. Imagine your a kid again and you see this awesome hill that you want to roll down all the way to the bottom and this hill is exactly like that. I can't believe Nekt was able to build four buildings across the top and they lived on top of this tiny little hill terrorizing the clans. 

The view from the top of the Hill. The peaks are so stunning, but the clouds make it hard to see

The flowers all over the top of the hill were so beautiful. The wildflowers were everywhere

The view of the Skeena River off the top of the hill.


Bitterness then engulfed me. Okay maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but I was sorely disappointed. As we planned for this trip I learned about a mountain range in Canada called the Seven Sisters. The mountain is beautiful, regal and demanding. It's a mountain that contains seven sister peaks. I couldn't wait to see it in person. It was the one thing I was most excited about in Northern BC. Alas. It was completely hooded in clouds only one of the seven peaks was visible. We didn't have an extra day or really any time to wait and see when it would clear. So we proceeded over to Watson Lake to do the hike in the area that we found that morning. It was way more remote than I anticipated. I felt the fear of all mothers. And I was sure that a wolverine was lurking in the woods ready to tear us apart. I made Cory sport the bear mace on this hike and we talked loudly, sang, yelled and made all sort of noise since we were the only people on this lonely trail. The trail was a bit deceptive. It said it was easy and perfect for novice hikers. I guess if you count gaining over 1000 feet of elevation in under 1km an easy hike then they were right. I was sweating, tired and out of breath constantly from all my singing, since I was also packing Zella. Isaak became the main noise maker of our group until the the unrelenting incline finally evened out to reveal a beautiful view of Watson Lake with a striking peak in the background. 
The Seven Sisters. Google images. They are impressive. Majestic. Or just draped in clouds.

I thought this shot was amazing because the view was amazing, but when we went back to the gopro images I was disappointed because the pictures does no justice. This is not the Seven Sisters, but some beautiful mountains views on our hike to Watson Lake.

Same picture but from my phone instead of the gopro

Watson Lake

Exploring the lake. We didn't see any wolverines.





The clouds cleared a bit and we could see a peak!! I hoped it was Seven Sisters. It wasn't, but it's still helped make up for not seeing the one I wanted to see.





Zelly slept on my back the entire time until right before we left the Lake. She woke up just in time to see our glorious peak and to make a lot of noise on the way down to scare the wolverine away. We saw a ton of scat on this trail. A ton. Isaak even stepped in some on our way to the car.

Thankfully we made it back to the car and Cory and I started debating if we should get a hotel or camp our last night in Canada. We were almost to Prince Rupert which is incredibly rainy. It rains 300 days a year. It was raining as we drove. A lot. Finally the rain let up and we thought it can't possibly rain anymore right? right? We found a provincial park called Prudhomme Lake. I wasn't sure we made the right choice so I was being a little ornery as I prepared to make dinner. Isaak quickly made friends with some kids running around the campground and he went out on an adventure to find Bigfoot. He was sure that they had found some footprints that would help them find the big Lug. Then it started. I had just started dinner and the rain began. I ran into the tent that we just barely finished setting up and climbed in with the girls. Cory finished making dinner in a terrible rainstorm AND cleaned the dishes. He's seriously the best. THE BEST. We then were very naughty and ate our dinner in the tent with extreme care(aka me barking at the kids every time they might possibly spill). We were still in Bear country so eating in the tent was definitely a should not, but Cory checked with the camp host and he said we'd be fine as long as we cleaned up afterwards.We made it through without any problems then we watched a movie that I downloaded on Netflix while we cuddled up on the sleeping bags. I was glad we chose to camp even if we had to pack up a soaking wet tent in the morning.
Some of Isaak's friends that helped him hunt for Bigfoot. You can tell these kids are from this area because the rain didn't even phase them. They all just kept playing. Isaak's shorts, shoes, and socks were soaked when he finally got into the tent. This picture was actually taken at 10pm. Most families hadn't even had dinner yet and we were closing up shop for the night. Oh those summer nights.
Our only shot of Prudhomme Lake. The vegetation was so different here just 1.5 hours from where we had just hiked. It had become a coastal rain forest. But because it had been raining so much I wasn't that in awe. I was muddy, wet, and ready to get to Alaska. Plus the bathrooms here stunk so bad. I could barely use them without vomiting. Seriously. It was terrible. They were clean but oh the smell. Definitely cringe-worthy. The campground was home to some squirrels and a huge amount of blue jays that seemed to be waiting for you to drop a crumb and turn your back so they could swoop in. Maybe that's why the bears don't come around here.. or maybe it's the stinky bathrooms.
Transylvania 2. Our small screen TV. It's the first time we used it on the trip. 
The bathrooms stink, everything is wet and I want to get out of the rain face. If you ever come to Prudhomme Lake with a tent get a hotel room. We were the only tent in the entire campground which was full of trailers. They all knew what they were getting into. Rain and lots of it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whaaaaat??????

I'm happily brushing my teeth in the bathroom. I'm looking around wondering what else I could be doing while I'm brushing my teeth and I started to think to myself, hmmmm , I wonder what's in toothpaste? I picked up the tube with my free hand and continued brushing. As I was reading the back I noticed a WaRnINg : Do not use for more than four weeks at a time. What? Do not use for more than four weeks? I anticipated reading if you swallow more than what you are brushing your teeth with call poison control. I try to start adding up how long I've been using this toothpaste. Cory didn't like it, so I've been using it solo and it has surely been more than four weeks. Now I don't know what to do with it--do I take a break and come back to it or do I just keep using it? I mean it's been about three months and I still have quite a bit left and nothing seems out of the ordinary yet...But seriously I think that the warning on the toothpaste should at least be

My Lovely Baby Bump

My Mom was nice enough to come down and take some awesome pictures of me and my lovely baby bump along with my two favorite guys ever. I love how they turned out! I think I'm about 34 weeks in the pics, but I haven't gotten more than a few centimeters larger--as of yet! I will post a few and then I might post some more as I get them more arranged, but I love them!!!! I know my bump isn't in all of them, but Isaak wasn't the most cooperative guy ever that night. He wanted to run around and play, but alas my Mom worked some magic and caught some great pics of him. so there you have them!